Circle circle, dot dot

Dating.

Why does that word make me want to vomit a little into a letterman's jacket?

I mean, don't get me wrong - hormonal interactions are fun. Quite fun, actually. Kind of the gooey middle of the Twinkie that is teenagedom.
You're makin' eyes, you're flirting, you do the ol' yawn-and-grope, ow ow you're on my hair...

But what constitutes this... dating?

  • Is it just liking each other out loud?
  • Does the label take effect before or after the 2nd date?
  • Online dating: convenient or terribly, apocalyptically anti-social?
  • How much physical wuh-huh is allowed within just-dating?
  • Isn't dating just a synchronized dance of social chasing and elimination until someone picks a partner and/or wants out? Like a big-ass game of Simon Says?
  • Why haven't we come up with a better word than dating?! (Don't even get me started on 'courtship'; Compound words + hormones = NO.)
Hmm.
Dating.
Talk to me.

(Let's keep it PG, ya'll)

1 comments:

Anonymous says
August 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Yeah I don't think dating is a good word, at all to describe the action. I mean two people just really hanging out with each other is dating, nothing serious just kinda like playing around. I guess maybe relationships is a better word to use, but on online dating I don't really trust it because the person your talking to, can just be making his/her's whole persona up. If your lucky to find someone good and trustworthy (with no history of starting an im with 'hey whatcha wearing?') on the internet then you struck good.